Simply get to know your neighbour!
If everyone knew who lived to their left and right (or above and below in flats) then as a city we could ensure that everyone in the city is known and connected to the great services and activities that happen in Brighton and Hove.
Post a card to your neighbour as a way of introducing yourself – create your own card or pick up a Hello Neighbour postcard*
Other Ways To Get To Know Your Neighbour
- Swap numbers in case of an emergency.
- Organise a coffee morning inviting people that live near you.
- Invite neighbours to the local pub quiz.
- Get together with other neighbours and organise street party or street play.
- Create a Facebook group for your street – a great way to get to know your neighbours, share ideas, create events, swap tools, share concerns etc.
- Give them a plant/seedling
- Organise a picnic in your nearest park or share a cuppa on your doorstep
- Offer to walk their dog or go for a walk together
- Offer herbs, tools, skill of some kind
- Organise a street food, clothes, junk exchange
- If you both have children introduce them for play dates
There’s lots of ways to get to know you neighbours, those are just a few of our ideas that we had over a cup of tea. Here’s some useful resources that might help you.
We’d love to know how you get to know your neighbour so be sure to let us know so we can encourage others to do the same. Share you story here (even if it’s one line we’d love to hear from you).
Remember some people might not be comfortable opening their door to someone they have not meet before, dropping a card off before you call is a good first step to introduce yourself.
*email email@example.com for free postcards or to let us know how you get on!